Strength in Trials

This week am attending the Shepherds’ conference (a pastor’s conference organized by John McArthur)

I have learned a lot about God’s love from different speakers, and He allows us to go through moments and trials because He loves us and He wants to grow our faith. In James 1:2, He tells us to count it all Joy when going through trials.

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-05 at 9.55.17 AM

For the past 3.5 weeks, I have been visiting the United States. This time, I came with Vena and the boys; we have visited supporters and spoke at churches in Oregon and California, and I had the privilege of preaching at Corban University. We have had a wonderful visit; the kids went to the ocean and sea world which they have loved. One of our supporters booked us a hotel, and Vena and I went away last weekend to Santa Barbara.

On the other side, a day after I had arrived, I found out I had malaria. I went to hospitals here, but did doctors did not seem to know how to treat malaria, as they gave me Malarone which is a prevention medicine. My situation worsened; my doctor in Uganda mailed me medicine which took about a week to get here and when I took it I was better.

Vena has been having pain and we arranged to see a doctor while on this trip. They ran several tests, including a Pathology report that revealed she has stage 1 breast cancer. This has hit us as a family, but we know God is in control, and He loves us and will give us the strength to go through it. The doctor says she will have surgery scheduled on April 1st, and then 6 weeks of radiation. I am flying back with the boys today, but Vena will stay. CTL and the hospital have helped us apply for insurance to help with the bills, and we are waiting to hear back.

In Uganda, by 2006, we had only one cancer radiation machine that broke down, and it took two years to get the two machines we have now. In a country of 40 million people, it is hard to use them and receive treatment. After seeing a local specialist, we have been informed that because of high numbers of patients waiting–it would take a patient at least 2 months for them to be able to start on radiations.

Here is how you can pray for us

• Pray that Insurance to be approved.
  • Journey mercies as I travel with the boys today.
  • Comfort and strength especially for Vena as she won’t be with us for a while.
  • Vena is trying to find a local Christian school to volunteer at while she is waiting and is on treatment, so that she doesn’t get bored. But, also so she use her time here to learn new things that she can bring back to our school in Uganda.

Thank you for all your support and prayers.

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-05 at 9.55.19 AM(1)

9 thoughts on “Strength in Trials

1. Jon March 6, 2020 / 9:08 am

Wilfred, I am so sorry to hear about your malaria and of course sweet Vena. We will be praying for both of you during this challenge. We know God will sustain you both through this time. Keep us posted on how things are going. Safe travels to you and the boys. – Jon

2. Kibira moses March 6, 2020 / 9:15 am

I pray that God intervene and heal her very first also I pray that you travel well in Jesus name

3. Asiimwe christine March 6, 2020 / 11:55 am

With God everything is possible . Wilfred stay strong and vena she will be well in Jesus name. Amen

4. Douglas Gentry March 6, 2020 / 12:29 pm

Thank you for this update, Pastor Wilfred. My daughter is currently undergoing chemotherapy for leukemia. Thankfully, we can draw strength from knowing that God’s steadfast love is a covenantal love and it never ends. Praise the Lord. Praying for safe travels for you and the boys and peace for your entire family.

Doug Gentry LBC

On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 5:51 AM The Rugumba’s Updates wrote:

> wilfredrugumba posted: “This week am attending the Shepherds’ conference > (a pastor’s conference organized by John McArthur) I have learned a lot > about God’s love from different speakers, and He allows us to go through > moments and trials because He loves us and He wants to grow ” >

5. Stella musaazi March 6, 2020 / 1:30 pm

Sorry about this ma pipo
    May the good lord see you thru the rugumba’s.
    Ma prayers are,with you venna.
    Pastor Willard.just take heart.
    The hand of the lord is never short to reach yo lovely wife.
    It will be well💕

6. Doreen March 7, 2020 / 12:07 am

My prayers are with you family

7. Sarahmutabarura March 7, 2020 / 5:43 am

God is able..Vena is sorted and you will all have journey mercies

8. Praise Atwine March 7, 2020 / 9:43 am

I will be praying! We’re more than conquerors in Jesus !